Tension in Bareilly after police cremate Muslim youth

Written by | August 25, 2015 | 0

THE police in Bareilly district found itself facing the wrath of a family and other village locals last week after they went ahead with the last rites of a youth as per Hindu rituals when he was in fact a Muslim.

Officers present at the cremation site hurriedly doused the pyre and handed the youth’s body over to the family but in a half-burnt state. Until late Monday evening, no complaint had been registered against the erring officers. As per police report, a mutilated body of a youth, in his 20s, was found on the railway tracks in Sarai on August 21 (Friday).

The youth had reportedly been run over by a train. When the body remained unidentified, the police, after the autopsy, sent it for cremation on Sunday morning without verifying the religion of the deceased.

In the meantime, one Sabban from Jakharia locality had filed a missing report on Friday (the day the body was recovered) of his son 22-year-old Arif  who, he said, had left home following a heated argument. When the police showed Sabban the photograph of the youth whose body was found on the tracks, the latter confirmed the youth’s identity as that of his son.

“We rushed to the cremation site with Arif’s family members where the last rites had begun. The process was stopped but nearly half of the body had been burnt by then. The family members protested and later gheraoed the Sarai outpost,” said Kamrul Hasan Khan, SHO of Qila police station where the missing complaint had been filed. Circle Officer, Bareilly city, Dharam Singh said the police “managed to douse the pyre”, adding that the body was handed over to the family.

The SHO claimed that the doctors who had conducted the autopsy did not mention in the report that the youth was a Muslim and sent the body for cremation. Situation remained tense at the Sarai police outpost where locals had gathered. Senior officials arrived there and assured the protesters that action would be taken against those responsible. No action, however, had been initiated against any official until late Monday evening.

Filed in: National

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply