12 dead in attack on Paris newspaper, France goes on alert

Written by | January 7, 2015 | 0

PARIS: Masked gunmen shouting “Allahu akbar!” stormed the Paris offices of a satirical newspaper on Wednesday, killing 12 people before escaping. It was France’s deadliest terror attack in at least two decades.

French President Francois Hollande called the attack on the Charlie Hebdo weekly, which has frequently drawn condemnation from Muslims, “a terrorist attack without a doubt” and said several other attacks have been thwarted in France “in recent weeks.”

A witness who works nearby, Benoit Bringer, told the iTele network he saw multiple masked men armed with automatic weapons at the newspaper’s office in central Paris.

The attackers went to the second floor and started firing indiscriminately in the newsroom, said Christophe DeLoire of Reporters Without Borders.
“This is the darkest day of the history of the French press,” he said.

Luc Poignant, an official of the SBP police union, said the attackers left in a waiting car and later switched to another vehicle that had been stolen.

Filed in: International

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply